Monday, June 28, 2010

Sheraton Commander Hotel, Cambridge MA (2 night stay 03.26.10-03.28.10)


When shopping around for this 2 night stay, my options were fairly limited, as I need to stay in Cambridge. I wasn't driving, so being close to a T stop was also a requirement. Ideally I wanted to be within walking distance to the Harvard Club, since I was attending a wedding there. When choosing a hotel in an unfamiliar area I do extensive research and I'll normally select something that is part of a chain. A property in the Sheraton portfolio is usually an excellent choice. The Sheraton Commander proved true to its brand. Other than the outrageously over priced in room movies, at $15.99, I have only good things to say about this hotel.
The lobby is lovely, mostly marble and wood, with high ceilings. There is a small, comfortable seating area to the left, in front of a tall book case. Ironically or perhaps intentionally, it gives the impression of an Ivy League School Library. On the other side of the seating area is room with complementary computer access. The front desk agent was rapidly checking in guests. She was quick, efficient, and gave me a great map of the area without request. She asked if I had driven from NYC and I explained I had taken Amtrak and then the red line. She pointed out a few places on the map for dinner, within walking distance. This is the sort of thing they teach you in front desk 101, but I was impressed that she gathered information from my reservation and anticipated my needs.
Nothing spectacular about the room's decor but nothing terrible either. However, it was very clean, smelled fresh, and had a partial view of the park across the street. In my opinion the beds, pillows, and linens are what puts Sheraton in a category of its own. This is the primary reason I most often select Sheraton when traveling. The bed is VERY comfortable, the pillows are amazing, and the sheet have a really high thread count. They also have something called the pillow menu. You can select the density and the pillow's filling, foam or down. I had a really difficult time crawling out of bed the next morning. I actually climbed back in bed while the coffee was brewing.
All the traditional in room amenities are included, hair dryer, shampoo, soaps, iron & ironing board. High speed Internet is available for a small fee, but as I said there is complimentary computer access in the lobby. Although the bathroom was clean, it was somewhat dated, specifically the shower unit. However, the towels were soft, fluffy and smelled amazing.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to enjoy The 16 Garden Street Restaurant during my stay. However, it was fairly busy at all times, which is a good sign. One of the wedding guests raved about their dining experience there, the previous evening.
Overall, I give the Sheraton Commander an 8 out of 10. Not only would I stay again but I'd recommend it to others staying in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment